Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sweet Baguettes

We in San Francisco are very lucky to have seriously good bakeries in our area. Grace, Semifreddi's, Acme to name but a few. Today I decided to try a taste test between Semifreddi's and Acme sweet baguettes. I wasn't expecting much difference because I purchase both and like both, but when placed side by side the difference is apparent.

The Acme baguette has a slightly crisp crust, with a chewier, slightly more dense, interior. The taste is lightly sweet, with a very mild yeast taste. It stood up to being spread with semi soft cheeses without tearing. I would classify this baguette as a bit rustic due to the texture.

The Semifreddi's sweet baguette seemed a bit more fragile with a softer crumb, but it still held up well to the cheese. The crust is softer and doesn't make a little crunching sound when chewed, an insignificant difference from the Acme baguette that I actually missed. It is sweet, but not yeasty. I would call this a more refined baguette. 

My preference was for the Acme baguette because it is closer in appearance, texture and taste to a French baguette.

No comments:

Post a Comment